Note: We are reviewing our documentary film granting process for NC organizations, projects, and filmmakers and are not accepting applications for NC film projects at this time. Please check the website in April 2014 for an update.
Deadlines: We have two grant cycles, in March and September.
We will accept proposals during the following time periods:
November 1 - December 1 (or next business day) for the March meeting.
May 1 - June 1 (or the next business day) for the September meeting.
Please do not submit proposals before the stated period because processes and eligibility criteria may change from time to time. We will post any changes on the website by October 1 or April 1 of each year. Proposals received before or after these periods will not be considered and will not be held over to the next cycle.
Funding Decisions: Funding decisions will be mailed by the end of March and September
As indicated in our Mission statement, our current focus areas are the arts, youth education, and programs that serve less advantaged populations. We particularly encourage collaborative efforts and projects that blend or combine our funding interests.
The complete application will consist of an application form, cover letter, narrative proposal, a project budget form, and the supporting documentation listed below. If you have trouble accessing or filling out either application or budget forms, please let us know and we will work with you.
The narrative proposal should consist of no more than 4 pages, with 12-point font and 1” margins, and include:
- A description of the sponsoring organization.
- A program or project description.
The project budget: complete only the “Total Project Budget” columns when applying for a grant. The other sections will be used when submitting a financial report on funded grants.
Proposals that use smaller font or margins will not be considered.
Supporting documentation: please enclose the following information:
- A cover letter on the organization’s letterhead. If another organization is acting as the fiscal agent, then the request must be submitted by the fiscal agent on its letterhead.
- *A list of the board of directors. (Bios are not required.)
- *A list of leadership staff members. (Bios are not required.)
- A copy of the organization’s federal tax-exempt certification under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. If your IRS letter does not include your organization's employer identification number (EIN), please write it on the copy submitted.
*This information may already be included on your organization's letterhead; if so, you do not need to repeat the information.
- Number the proposal pages.
- Stay within the 4-page limit for the narrative proposal. We will not read information beyond the 4th page.
- Submit additional information. We do not consider it in our review.
- Staple proposals and attachments. Paperclips or binder clips are fine.
Two hard copies of your complete application must be in our office by 5:00 p.m. of the stated deadline. Proposals are not accepted via fax or e-mail. Please address them to:
Ms. Mimi O’Brien
The Mary Duke Biddle Foundation
MissionPost, PMB #101
318 Blackwell Street, Suite 130
Durham, North Carolina 27701